Follow @trekkest

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Working in the RAW digital format

It is bound to happen. You start printing larger and larger pictures and that dreaded pixelation becomes more and more of a problem. So, you start looking at the RAW format to get higher resolution images that won't lose their mojo when you print them. You tell your camera to shoot in that format and then you can't see them when you download the pictures.

Adobe has a plugin just for this and when you download it into the right directory, you are good to go. If you have CS3 you probably already have it. I needed something upfront for sorting out the many duplicates that I take but I had to have a browser format with a larger viewer. I searched the internet and downloaded a trial version of BreezeBrowser Pro from Breeze systems. I worked it hard during the trial period and was happy enough to purchase the full program at $69.00. http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm

What I like about it is that you can work with the huge files, see them very clearly in a large browser window and put a check mark on the ones that you want to send to another file for producing slideshows and albums. It is very user friendly and I agree that this is the program that should have come with the camera. (The Canon OEM software is a real disappointment in my opinion and I tried very hard to make it work for too long.) Once you have reviewed and culled your pictures down, you can see them in Photoshop and do your magic there.

You can see if it is right for you with your free trial. Also I have included a link below that has more detail on several others besides BreezeBrowser Pro. I have paid more and gotten a lot less in software. It is nice when you get something that works well and makes like simpler if you end up with hundreds of files like I do.
Just make sure that your particular camera is supported and that the program works with all other programs you are using. The website does a good job of running down the features--I just know that it works for me and may be what you are looking for too.

Thanks for reading my blog. If you like digital photography and large format printing, please subscribe to my blog. (There is a widget on the upper left of my first page of the blog.) With this particular type of photography, the best information is the most current information. I have lots of books but magazines and the internet are extremely valuable for keeping up with the latest solutions.

For more information on my work, please visit my website ww.rltphotoartist.com
Also, this excellent article that will give you more background on the RAW format and some more programs to choose from. Hope this helps get you started in finding the right solution for you.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/why_use_raw.html

Renee :-)

No comments: