Follow @trekkest

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Digital Photography for Kids

I remember the first time my dad showed me a print developing in a photo tray. It was magic and it changed how I viewed the world. 5 years ago, I handed my then best digital camera to a very smart little 4 year old. She took some pictures of my cats and a portrait of my husband and I that I just love.

There are a lot of cameras out there that will stimulate their interest from very young ages all the way to adult. Let them take pictures of whatever they want because they are using digital--not film. Buy them a bigger memory card than the one that comes with their camera (a 1 gig SD card can be had for around 15.00 these days) and let them have some fun observing their world. Make sure that you back up their pictures (see my previous blog about this)http://rltphotoartist.blogspot.com/2008/06/going-going-gone.html With a small card they have to erase lots of pictures so they have room for more. If you buy them the biggest card, the will literally have hundreds of pictures--thousands on many of the types out there. I just know there is a young Ansel Adams out there that needs to see what he or she took along the way.

Just a thought for those of you who have young photographers blooming out there. It is one of the least expensive hobbies there is once you set them up with some inexpensive equipment or even a camera phone. Even those hundreds of pictures that teenagers take of themselves at arm's length are documenting an important part of their lives. It's a wonderful way for them to discover and begin to study the beauty in the world around them. Go to www.bestbuy.com for a start.

Please visit my site for more examples of my work. Thanks for reading my blog and a shout out to all the young photographers out there in cyberspace.
www.rltphotoartist.com

Renee :-)

No comments: