Follow @trekkest

Friday, June 20, 2008

Website Publishing

It's been a while since I have shopped for WYSIWYG website publishing software. Back in the olden days--I used FrontPage and Adobe Pagemaker....then Dreamweaver (I own a very ancient copy).
I bought a new copy of Microsoft Office Publisher and thought it would be just great because it lets you just plop anything anywhere. It gets tricky when you publish because things are "taken care of" on the ftp side of things.

Additionally, if you make any changes and go back through their interface and publishing "magic", you end up with a bunch of new names for your pages and the graphics on your pages and a folder/organization system that is more complicated than necessary. In fact, you spend a lot of time trying to figure out where files were uploaded by the helpful wizard.

I am looking for a program that lets you plop down graphics anywhere without worrying about tables and columns but still lets you work in source code anytime you wish. After that, I would like to arrange the files and use the FTP program of my choice to upload files my way. I have used CuteFTP for years and I like uploading my own files directly to the server without any user interface rigamarole.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,
Renee L. Theuer
www.rltphotoartist.com

No comments: