Follow @trekkest

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back From Rainy Tucson and Saguaro Cacti

Well, Tucson was great for the Gem and Mineral show. In fact, the entire town turns into the Gem and Mineral show. Every gas station window has geodes in it...every empty shop (and there are quite a few of them downtown) has rocks in it. Every hotel...every motel...it is absolutely amazing.

Last year was our first visit to this amazing rock transformation. I thought the show was only in the few hotels my sister had us visit last year. Was I ever wrong.

Take a look at their website and see if they are going to be at a town near you. If you aren't hooked on rocks, they have dinosaur fossils, petrified dinosaur poop and lots and lots of jewelry.
If you like to bead, you can get everything you need there...except findings.

Beautiful boulder opals, tourmaline, jasper, cat's eye, jade, rose quartz, lapis, rhodocrosite--just to name a few. Last year I didn't know all these different names and more. After just one show I am making my own rock jewelry out of the beautiful beads and accent items at the show. If you are already a beader, you can get some great inspiration at this show. Otherwise, if you don't have time for another hobby and you want to save some money, "stay away". If you don't usually take advice well, their website is: http://www.tgms.org/2007show.htm

Oh, and one more thing. Unless you are a pretty devout religious person, I would skip the Mission San Xavier Del Bac. One website I visited prior to leaving said that it was called the Eiffel Tower of Tucson. (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2809760-mission_san_xavier_del_bac_tucson-i ) Uh...well...I think that may be a teeny bit off. It's nice when half of it isn't covered for restoration I guess...but I think Saguaro National Park and passing by the airplane boneyards on the way was more fun. Visit their website to learn fascinating facts about this nice ecosphere and how it was started 75 years ago. http://www.nps.gov/sagu/

Have some fun today.

Renee :-)
http://www.rltphotoartist.com/

No comments: