Follow @trekkest

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Make me prettier, please.....Photo Restoration Hints Thirteen

Make me prettier, please.

OK...now I said it.  Unless you are requested to remove a tattoo or tiny mole, don't do it.  BUT....there are a lot of things you can do to enhance a picture...male or female.  Since I am a 60 year old female, I will spend more time on "make up" so you will be a successful as a photo restorer.

I like to think of myself as a sort of make up artist as well as photo restorer. I'm not really but as I get older, I think I have learned a few tricks in Photoshop and on my own face with actual makeup.  I never worry too much though, since I can always fix my own pictures...although I don't as often as I should.  ***Smile***

Sometimes it is as easy as darkening the eyelashes with the burn tool right in the basic tools on the left.  Many times, darkening the pupils and irises of "older" eyes will bring youth back a bit.  Whitening the whites of the eyes with the dodge tool can really help.  Keep checking your history tool to make sure that you aren't getting carried away during every step of the photo restoration process or you get what my husband calls the "scary" effect.  It doesn't look like them or anyone else you know but the wrinkles are gone.  This is NOT where we want to go....but I digress.

Remember, just about each tool has a "hard/soft" option which deals with pressure or density.  Take a look at the top of the screen right next to the tool you are using to decide those things.   I like the soft round brush and I start with low hardness and low exposure...don't be afraid to experiment with these adjustments...remember you can always go a step back....

Also, remember that there are "many" colors on a given face whether it is a black and white or color picture.  Try to match the tones with the eyedropper tool depending upon which part of the face or body you are working on.  You don't want to just lighten under the eyes with the lightening tool.  Maybe there is a "tone" or "color" on the other top of the cheekbone that you can pick up to lighten those dark spots under the eyes....maybe you can leave some wrinkles but just cover them a bit or soften them a bit with the air brush.  They are still there, but the makeup covers some of the darkness in between.

As for teeth...you will need to refrain from whitening the teeth to the point that they are the first thing and only thing people see on your beautiful restoration.  Go easy...you can start with the dodge tool always...but I like to take an eye dropper to the teeth and determine the color that they are in the picture.  It is amazing what colors you will see...  You are always safe if you just go towards the white light....on the color selector, that is...and see if a little air brushing works better or the dodge tool.  Remember, the back up or history tool should be checked so that you don't make a scary restoration. 

All in all, go easy airbrushing the overall face.  Use light paint on your airbrush/paint brush, low density and hardness and just brush on the make up as you go.  Age spots, zits, pits and cuts are great removal targets.  Bring the size of the picture up to where it almost pixelates so you can see what you are doing.  The closer and softer you work, the better and more flattering your results will be.  As for beauty overall, it is in the eye of the beholder.  Try not to get in the way...your subject is already loved or you would not be doing a restoration.

Thanks for reading my blog..please subscribe to it if you need an easier way to find me.  Thank you...Renee




No comments: